Remember how I said the next quilt would be for me? Turns out I needed to churn out a quickie before that one, so here it is. A baby quilt made from vintage linens I’ve collected in the past years. Vintage might be pushing it, but “preowned” just doesn’t have the same ring to it.
I can usually tell if I like something I’ve crafted, after it’s all finished, at least. But today I can’t. I mean, it’s pink and baby blue. Even worse, it’s got florals and tiny sheep. Now, I knew this when I selected the fabrics which is why I decided to quilt it as modernly as possible.
The back is less girly but blue florals, none the less. The random quilting pattern works a bit better on the backside. Since there was nothing to lose, I used a yellow and orange fabric from a pillowcase for the binding.
The finished quilt measures roughly 43×43 inches. The “pattern” is a basic brick tile layout, with 3×5 inch tiles. I copied the use of the borders from a friend. I noticed that she sent quite a few readers my way, so thank you and welcome! The pink fabric of the wide border is my favorite, by far. It’s a 1977 print by Tampella called “Vinterblomma”.
It looks alright in tiny doses. It’s the complete thing that will take some time to grow on me. That’s alright because this quilt will be homeless for a while, until a baby announcement is (inevitably) heard from somewhere. It can stay on my cabinet to remind me that I should sew (and knit!) more from my stash. Maybe next week I’ll get started on the more subtle fabrics chosen for my quilt. That is if the pinks are out of my system. I did kind of like that combination of yellow and pink…