Last weekend, while back home, I managed to dig out my old doll bed from storage. After a good wipe down, I decided it needed some upgrades. Not that it wasn’t a great bed in the late seventies but the retro charm alone might not appeal to the new doll owner. So I added a new mattress, with a cover sewn from Alexander Henry’s fun 2D Zoo fabric. I’ve stashed way too much of this fabric in various colorways.
Of course, a simple mattress was not going to make a bed. I concocted a small doll quilt on Saturday afternoon, using a block design (no. 49) from the Japanese quilt block book I reviewed a couple of weeks ago. I like the way the materials came together for this quilt: the prints from my stash (apples from Farmer’s Market by Sandi Henderson, the floral from Come quilt with me by Marcus Brothers and the wavy print from Joel Dewberry’s Manzanita), the white sashing fabric from an old bed sheet of my grandmother’s, and the binding is from Kokka in Japan. The execution is less than perfect but perhaps the story of it will make up for my flaws.
Now I’m off to take the bed apart, lug it to the next town and reassemble before a certain littke girl wakes up from her nap. We’ll see how many generations more this authentic Jukka bed will endure. I’m hoping it will return to my family someday. :)